Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dinner on A Wednesday Night (posted Saturday)

I know we are just getting to know each other, and I know I am new to blogging, but I've run out of things to talk about on day 4!  That has to be a record, huh?  Before I had a blog, I would say to myself, "WOW, if I had a blog, I'd blog about this or that"  Today I got nuthin!  Except.....................

What I cooked for dinner on Wednesday night, or maybe I should say what I threw together for dinner.  I love cooking, it's really a passion of mine.  I do not stereotype, I like healthy recipes, not so healthy, a la' Paula Deen recipes, cookies, cakes, whatever! I love trying new recipes and sharing them with friends.  Actually, a friend of mine just shared the best Butternut Squash Soup recipe with me, and I'm dying to make it, it was so yummy. 

Some nights I am just so tired, and I'm tempted just to run to McDonald's and pick up happy meals.  Sometimes you have to just take the easy way out.  I always feel so guilty after the fact though, don't you??? I've constantly battled my weight from the time I was a teenager.  It's the one thing that is most important to me not to pass down to my girls.  I always want them to have healthy choices and to make those choices on their own.  I can not always afford to buy all organic.  But dinner is 98% of the time full of fresh vegetables and protein.   I never do can stuff, OK once I did can green beans, and they were OK, but I was in a pinch.  But anyways, I should also mention I am far from perfect when it comes to food, so I am by no means preaching!  Tonight my husband works nights so we're having frozen pizza and corn, or what is better known as "Dinner School Cafeteria Style".

So back to Wednesday Night, I was so tired, my husband just worked 12 hours, and so I asked him to pick up a rotisserie chicken (lemon pepper) and I threw whatever veggies I had in a skillet and tossed them with a little extra virgin olive oil.  We all loved this meal.  I could have easily asked him to pick up happy meals, but I am so proud of myself I didn't.  Here are some pictures.  And if you don't already go the rotisserie chicken route, you should try it! 


So in my frig,  I had zucchini, tomatoes and red onion.   I diced them up and threw them in the skillet with a couple of table spoons of EVOO and a couple of table spoons of water and salt and a little lemon pepper.  I like my veggies still a little steamed/crunchy when they are served.

Notice I'm using my spoon holder!!! Yah!
Have you guys seen these?  They are so cute and I love using mine.  I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for like $3.00, I think they have lemon holders and lime holders and banana ones.  It really keeps the onion fresh after you have cut it!

The Guest of Honor!


I cook the veggies for 8 minutes, just till tender, but still with lots of color and serve with slices of chicken.

So  there you have it,  My Guilt Free Wednesday Dinner!!

Stay tuned, I am going to do family interviews next week, complete with  our real names.  I really had  a lot of hits this past week and some really nice emails, welcoming me to the blogging world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment